Building an apron for access to the barn
In the construction process, we learned we needed to build an apron to facilitate entry and exit from our property. The apron provides a transition from the road, to the driveway / field and cleans the mud off from tires as well. to build this, we had to excavate a foot +/1 to cut through the top layer of dirt and get to the clay base, then fill it with tire scrubber rocks.
We learned a couple of key things in this process.
- An apron is important and needs to be planned for (whoops, missed this at first)
- Excavation can be done pretty easily on this with a tractor and bucket, no expert help needed (cost savings)
- When ordering the tire scrubber rock, be sure to be clear about the grade of rock you are getting. We were not clear enough on this and ended up picking out re-bar and some scrap metal from the end result.
- Pick out any scrap metal from the final product.
- If you did not get a driveway permit, your township may take offense and ask for one, viewing this as a driveway…
Leave a Reply